“Estimated energy needs should be based on resting metabolic rate (RMR). If possible, RMR should be measured. “ —American Dietetic Association Position on Weight Management 2009
So what can a doctor do?
A simple 10 minutes RMR test can accurately pinpoint how many calories a patient needs to consume to lose weight.
RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) Testing & Analysis
Burn more fat. Build more muscle.
Knowing your metabolic health and RMR is crucial to your success on any nutrition or training plan.
- See how efficient your body is at converting food to energy and using fat or sugar as fuel
- Feed your body in a way that achieves your goals and conquer plateaus
- Learn if you have a slowed metabolism to understand frustrated attempts to lose weight and plateaus.
Reach your goals with ease.
Your metabolism refers to all the chemical processes that your body undergoes every day in order to keep you alive.
Many factors affect your metabolic rate, including weight, age, body composition, environment, hormone levels, and gender.
This makes it a highly unique and important number to know, since
- Your RMR accounts for about 70 percent of all energy you expend
- It represents the number of calories you need to maintain essential functions at rest (things like heartbeat and breathing!)
- Pinpointing the precise number of calories, you burn at rest is crucial if you’re trying to lose weight or build lean mass
Therefore, testing your RMR directly is so important vs using an equation.
Even the most “accurate” equation-based RMR estimations can vary as much as 30 to 40 percent!
How the RMR test works.
Preparing For The Test
Diligent preparation is important because your RMR is very sensitive. It is affected by many factors, including environment, genetics, hormones, stress, movement, and digestion.
- Avoid exercising for 12 hours prior, as well as food, tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine for at least 5 hours prior
- Continue taking any prescription medications as recommended by your doctor
- Come to the test in comfortable clothing
During The Metabolic Test
We like to think of your RMR Metabolic test as a 15 to 20 minute meditation to break up the stress of your day…
- All you need to do is relax comfortably in a chair while breathing into a mask
- We calculate the amount of oxygen you consume during this time
- We analyze your data, review it with you, and answer any questions